The past few posts, Gathering Successfully has been closely watching the Top 100, and the majority of the list is understandably all Shadows Over Innistrad. Our last look on March 30th reflected that it’s pretty closely paralleling the trends we’re seeing here in the US. Westvale Abbey is the number one pre-order pretty much everywhere. That’s up from #5 only a few days before. In these posts, we analyze the weekly Top 10 and go into depth about newcomers to the list.
Besides this being pre-release weekend for Shadows Over Innistrad, there are some interesting things to take a look at from this past week:
- In his MTGPrice blog post, “The Mother of All Boats,”Jason Alt takes a look at the financial impact of Shadows Over Innistrad on Commander. The tl;dr is that The Gitrog Monster is the primary Legendary Creature to watch in this set and people are already going nuts brewing lists around the Black/Green Frog Horror.
- In that same article, Jason’s mention of the Visions card, Squandered Resources, probably had something to do with the card price spiking this week. It’s going to be pretty good in “Hypno-Toad” EDH decks, and the card is on the reserve list. Hopefully you had your copy before the spike.
- As they have for the past few sets, MTGGoldfish has a printable price list for Shadows Over Innistrad that you can take to your local pre-release. Note that most of these prices will drop quickly as the weekend progresses, so it’s good to move whatever cards you won’t be using within the next couple of weeks for more stable cards, such as BFZ/OGW creature lands, etc.
- Also on MTGGoldfish, SaffronOlive explores the Ravnica Full Block flashback draft format on Magic Online. It’s hailed as one of the best limited formats of all-time, and is also creating opportunity to snap up Ravnica block cards at reduced prices online.
- Speaking of Magic Online, Quiet Speculation has a free High Stakes MTGO article today. The tl;dr is that you should be buying the BFZ “battle” dual lands, as well as investing in full sets of Khans of Tarkir and Fate Reforged as rotation hits. Khans has the fetchlands and Fate Reforged sets are worth redeeming in paper just for Monastery Mentor and Ugin, the Spirit Dragon.
If paper Magic is more your thing, you’ll want to pick up copies of Archangel of Tithes ASAP. They are suddenly pushing $10 a copy. A lot of vendors are running out and a lot of foils are still around $12, so now’s the time to grab them! With a shift towards more two-color decks, the Archangel looks positioned for success.
In Modern news, there’s been a run on Ancestral Vision, a card that has been considered by the community to be coming off of the Modern ban list very soon. With one or both of Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple potentially about to be banned in Modern due to the ludicrous levels of success of Eldrazi in the format, this would seem the time to do it.
Any great articles from this past week you think we should share? Have any financial or deck building tips you’d like to share? Leave a comment below or email email@example.com.