Ingredients for Mama's Seven Layer Dip:
- Ingredients for Mama's Spicy Guacamole (double)
- Refried Beans (2 or 3 cans)
- Black Olives (1 large can)
- Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese (16 oz bag) - can be avoided or substituted with vegan or non-dairy cheese, if preferred
- Sour Cream (16 oz tub) - can be avoided or substituted with a non-dairy version, if preferred
- Salsa (enough to top the dip and season the beans)
- Lettuce (1/4 head)
The first step in making Mama's Seven Layer Dip for your Super Bowl or other party is to make Mama's Spicy Guacamole. Leave some extra pico de gallo for one of the dip layers. You'll also need to heat up some refried beans. Adding in some salsa can create a nice flavor. Now that you have those two steps done, you're ready to make Mama's Seven Layer Dip. From this point, it's actually pretty easy.
You will now need to get out a 9 x 12 glass cake pan. The bottom layer in Mama's Seven Layer Dip is the refried beans. Spread those across the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle some shredded cheese and black olives atop the refried beans and put it in the oven for a couple minutes, until the cheese melts.
Next comes the guacamole and then the sour cream. After that, comes the salsa. If you want homemade salsa, follow the pico de gallo recipe, except at the end, place all the ingredients into a blender. Now take the pico de gallo, mix some lettuce in, and sprinkle that atop the other layers. You can also sprinkle some extra shredded cheese and add some extra sour cream to the top for effect.
That's it! Now serve with some seasoned or unseasoned tortilla chips and eat!
* This recipe serves 8, but can be doubled, tripled, etc.
More Superbowl-worthy recipes on Life Successfully: