Although the Chihuahua's alertness and protective nature is charming and sometimes useful, Chis can get out of control with this behavior. Examples of this include:
- Aggressive behavior towards other dogs and people, especially after the owner has informed the dog that the other dog or human is okay
- Aggression towards children, often based out of fear (children do not always know to be gentle with small dogs).
- Dominant and guarding behavior concerning food.
- Severely overprotective of owner, not allowing other members of the family near.
- Cowering and easily threatened (often caused by previous abuse).
In these instances, it's important to increase training. You can work with a local dog behavior expert or simply begin by correcting the negative Chihuahua behavior.
Do you have tips for dealing with aggressive Chis?
This post was originally published on Examiner.com as Chihuahua Examiner. Republished with permission of the author.