Thinking about and praying for Rissa, her child and husband, and all who care for her, family and friends had been waiting about a week to hear the news on her test results. Obviously a diagnosis of Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia is not what they had all been hoping for.
Shortly after hearing the news, her online friends (many from the Yahoo! Contributor Network) began organizing to figure out how to help Rissa. Word spread quickly on social networks and other outlets.
Hospital bills for this type of medical condition can be quite expensive. Therefore, one idea has been to read and share her articles with others. Articles displayed at certain sites, like Associated Content from Yahoo!, can generate revenue for writers each time someone reads them.
But the generosity did not stop at reading her work. Friends and family, both online and off began immediately donating money to Rissa to help with her medical expenses and anything else she may need along the way.
Because of the nature of this type of cancer, Rissa cannot work during the treatment. That's why it is so crucial for people to help. In addition to whatever her normal expenses are, there will be plenty of hospital bills and other medical services and treatments to pay for. Insurance will not cover the entire cost of this.
Family and friends are not the only ones who can help Rissa.
You too can help!
Ways to help Rissa:
1) Donate via GiveForward
2) Donate via PayPal (see below)
3) Read her articles on AC/Y!CN
4) Share this link, her article links, and the GiveForward page.
5) Make a purchase from Twin Trinity Media. They are donating to Rissa $1 for every physical book sold and .25 cents for every digital download. They will make daily payments to her as sales come in. Plus, she's building royalties on sales of three of those books.
6) Purchase a Leukemia awareness shirt from teeBarefoot. The shop owner is donating all proceeds from Leukemia awareness designs to Rissa.
7) Place a bid on this beautiful blue sodalite rosary (ends Jan 17). Full proceeds will be donated to Rissa.
More on Rissa's story:
Watch Rissa's YouTube vlogs
Help Me Help Rissa
Rissa is Featured Writer of the Month (Jan 2011) on AskSan.com
If you have written about Rissa, please share your link in the comment section and we'll add it here.
(minus any PayPal fees)